Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Make this: Chicken Tortilla Soup

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Yes, I know. Here we are, mid-November, and the last time I posted was in January! I promise...life has been happening all around me, and once again I can't take two seconds to document it. I'll let you in on a little secret: if I get hit by a bus tomorrow, go to my Flickr account and you'll be instantly caught up on everything in my world! Except for that bus. Chances are, if it hit me - I wasn't paying attention or taking a photo.

I made this soup over the weekend because 1) it's football season in my house, and 2) my husband makes requests for whatever he wants to eat on Sunday because 3) see #1. I debated between Chicken Tortilla or Albondigas. In the end, Chicken Tortilla won because 1) it's football season in my house, and 2) I make the decisions in the kitchen because 3) see #1.

This is a simple recipe if you have about 20 minutes to spare for prep time and then another hour or so to let it simmer and do it's "thing" on the stove. Soups all need time to do their thing...if you've made them before, you knew this already.

Confession: I wasn't planning on posting this, so I didn't take photos through the process. (Lucky you!) I'll just cut to the chase and give you the recipe. Like most things I make, it's all in my head so feel free to make it your own and adjust.

CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
4 chicken breasts (preferably on the bone)
1 cube chicken bouillon
2 tbsp. butter
1 onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 jalapeƱos (more if you like it hot!)
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped (Not a fan? you can substitute kale or fresh parsley.)
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
Avocado, diced
corn tortillas, cut into strips and fried golden
Monterey Jack cheese

1. Boil chicken breasts with bouillon until they are fully cooked. Remove chicken and cut into cubes once it's cooled; reserve broth. You'll need it!
2. Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, jalapeƱo, salt and pepper. Saute for a couple of minutes until the garlic is fragrant and onion is translucent.
3. Add in chicken stock from the meat you boiled (about half of it) and then add about 4 cups of water. Bring to a rapid boil.
4. Add chicken, tomatoes and cilantro (or whatever green stuff you decided to substitute). You can add a dash of turmeric at this phase if you want a slightly yellow soup. If not, it will be clear as the sky. Reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 45 minutes.
5. Ladel soup into a bowl and top with diced avocado, cheese and corn tortilla strips.

No comments: