Monday, January 14, 2013

From Kentucky, With Love

Back in the early 1990s, I was overcome with a giant case of The Dumbass and went to live with some close friends in Kentucky for a whopping six months. To this day, it’s the only real time I’ve ever spent away from sweet little Las Cruces, New Mexico. While I was there, I absorbed some of life’s greatest lessons: 1) you can’t run away from your problems, 2) line dancing is not as hot as you think it is, and 3) those Southerners sure know how to cook.

Right after I arrived, I went to work at a Winn-Dixie in the illustrious town of Radcliff (just outside of Ft. Knox). Winn-Dixie is a Southeastern grocery store chain, for all of you scratching your heads. Because they paid me just enough to buy a sandwich from Subway and fill my car up with gas, I also worked across the street at Baskin Robbins. They didn’t pay much either, but I ate my fair share of Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream to make up for it.

I met my friend, Holly, at the grocery store and she introduced me to gumbo. Her mother made it, and before I knew Holly, I had never heard of it. In my head, I imagined it was a giant bowl of melted bubble gum that you ate with a spoon. Yuck! When I was invited over to her house to try it, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that gumbo is a hearty, Cajun comfort food that has become a Sunday favorite in my house.

Confession: true Southerners (especially those from Louisiana) will tell you that gumbo without okra is anything but gumbo. Confession: I hate okra unless it is deep-fried. Confession: I don’t make my gumbo with okra.

Yesterday was a bitter, bone-chilling kinda cold here in New Mexico, so I thought a giant batch of gumbo would warm everyone up. Over the years, I’ve tweaked Holly’s mom’s recipe to suit my New Mexico taste buds. Translation: bring on the hot chile!

Here’s how you do it: (Forgive my iPhone photos...the battery in my Nikon was dead, dead, dead!)
Chicken & Sausage Gumbo

Dice up a medium-sized onion along with 3 or 4 stalks of celery. I like to throw in the leafy celery tops, too.

Chicken & Sausage Gumbo

Then roughly chop 2 or 3 boiled chicken breasts. When you're boiling the chicken, be sure to save the chicken stock. You'll need it later.

Chicken & Sausage Gumbo

Next, slice 2 or 3 packages of polish sausage. Set the sausage and the chicken aside for now.

Chicken & Sausage Gumbo

Oops! Almost forgot...dice up 2 or 3 jalapeƱos or 4 long, hot green chiles.

Here's the important part: the roux. Roux is a funny, temperamental, integral part of your gumbo. It's like a gravy base, but you cook it longer and you can't take your eyes off of it! I mean it...not for one second. It burns in a flash and will ruin all of the goodness you're about to create.

Chicken & Sausage Gumbo

Start with 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour and 1/4 cup of vegetable oil. Blend well and cook over medium-high heat in a large stock pot, stirring constantly.

Chicken & Sausage Gumbo

The stirring motion ensures that every granule of the flour is browning evenly.

Chicken & Sausage Gumbo

Ta da! This is what roux should look like. Some gumbo conoisseurs will tell you that roux should be the deep, rusty color of a penny.

Chicken & Sausage Gumbo

Add to the roux all those veggies you chopped. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pretend I showed you the 4 cloves of garlic I chopped and added in there, too. Continue to cook until the onions and celery are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.

Chicken & Sausage Gumbo

Pour 4 to 6 cups of chicken stock in the pot and add in the sausage and chicken. Blend all the ingredients together and add 2 chicken bouillon cubes and a bay leaf. Bring everything to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for at least 45 minutes or longer, adding water as necessary.

Chicken & Sausage Gumbo

When it's done, ladel a heaping spoonful of gumbo over a bowl of steamed white rice. Enjoy! I know we did, just after I said a little prayer of thanks that my path crossed with Holly's. Love ya, Holly! And your mom, too.

Here's a copy-and-paste version if you want to print it:

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo


1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil (or any other cooking oil)
1 chopped onion
3 or 4 stalks of celery, sliced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
3 jalapeƱos, finely chopped (you can substitute green chile, too)
salt and pepper to taste
2 chicken bouillon cubes
16 oz. polish sausage (2 packages)
1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh okra (if you dare)
2 or 3 boiled chicken breasts
1 bay leaf
hot, cooked rice

1. Chop all vegetables and set aside. Slice chicken and sausage and set aside.
2. Add flour and oil to a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Stirring constantly, cook the mixture until the roux is a dark brown.
3. Add vegetables to the roux and cook approximately 5 minutes.
4. Add chicken stock and bouillon cubes.
5. Add chicken and sausage and bring to a rapid boil.
6. Reduce heat and add bay leaf.
7. Cook for 45 minutes to an hour (or longer), adding water when necessary.
8. Serve over steamed white rice.

1 comment:

devansh said...

DR WILLIAMS CURED 7 YEARS AUTISM
I am sharing this testimony for my daughter who suffered autism for 7 years. I am doing this, because I was her mother and caregiver  during her dark days and am very happy to share it so that others can be helped through  DR WILLIAMS HERBAL MEDICINE. It was a tough a battle for her; I was not actually the one who hard autism, but bearing the burden makes me understand what parents whose children and love with autism go through.
Lesia now 19 and was diagnosed with autism at the age of twelve, for seven years, she fought against her diagnosis. I must admit it was never easy for us as a family; we had to constantly watch her, and answer questions that we couldn’t explain. On several occasions, she asked if she will ever stop having speech delay and get well like her school mates and be the best swimmer she dreamt of becoming. She was a very happy child; and had a ‘normal’ childhood and there was no suggestion that she would later on develop autism. 
She refused to accept defeat and fought autism. She religiously kept to her medications in spite of their side effects. We all wanted a cure, so that she can chase her dream and live a normal life like every other child. But the more she takes these medications, the more her school grade drop. She couldn’t concentrate and we noticed that her memory was being severely adversely affected. Each time we went back to the hospital, her medicines were changed to a different one. Seems like, each change of drug brings about change in side effects. After about 6 years on   Abilify ,  Geodon  , and other medicines, it seemed the autism started to increase in frequency. I had to make effort to reduce her medicines with plans to eventually stop it all. We found an alternative treatment in homeopathy, which was better than her English drugs. Gradually, I reduced her drugs, and her autism were no longer as frequent as it was as when she was on conventional drugs.
With our little breakthrough with homeopathy treatment, we made further search for natural cure. Fortunately we saw testimonies about herbal medicines which cure autism. We saw a lot of claims though, contacted them and didn’t get a useful reply. Lucky for us, we finally got a reply from Doctor Williams, he directed us to his blog where we saw a lot of information about his herbal medicine . Without further delay I made a purchase for her, I switched her over to it. We had great breakthrough, that in 3 weeks, her autism reduced. After 1 months as Doctor Williams promised , all autism symptoms stopped. It was like a miracle for us. since all this days now Lesia became autism free. Her story is quite lengthy, I hope it also help someone out there.for more information you can email Dr Williams on drwilliams098675@gmail.com