Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Latchkey Kid's Staple Food



Do they even make this stuff anymore?

If you're a product of the 80s, have divorced parents, or remember the "ABC After School Special", raise your hand. Hi there. It's good to know I'm not alone.

I'm actually a product of all three, and Pizza Quick was a staple in our house. Growing up, there were a few hours in between the time my sister and I got home after school and the time our mother walked in the door. I think "Latchkey Kid" was the token term that categorized my sister and me. Whatever you called kids like us, we all ended our day the same way - alone, and hungry. Pizza Quick was our mother's saving grace. It fed us fast for years. Whether or not it fed us good is up for debate.

Over the weekend, I threw together a really quick and dirty pizza...without Pizza Quick. (By the way, if you didn't figure it out 25 years ago, Pizza Quick is just spaghetti sauce.) I had a basic recipe for dough, and there were two different kinds of cheese in the fridge: mozzarella and Parmesan. What I didn't have was sauce, but I did have a jar of Trader Joe's bruschetta topping. Here's the end product:



I wish you could taste this. Lucky for me, I was able to snap a photo before my daughter ate the last piece. It wasn't Pizza Quick, but it was pizza that went quick. Big difference.

No comments: